Monday 28 January 2008

lemon meringue pie – the Daring Bakers’ January challenge

Another month, another Daring Bakers challenge, and this month’s host – Jen, the Canadian Baker – chose lemon meringue pie. Now, I love me some lemon pie. I have a favourite, foolproof recipe, but it can’t hurt to try something a bit different once in a while. As usual, I left it to the last weekend to complete the challenge. S shopped for groceries, while I was stripping more paint off the woodwork.

With a pantry full of butter, sugar, eggs, lemon and cream, I fully intended to start baking. I even got as far as making the dough for the crust. And then… the call of the DIY became too strong to ignore. And so, by the end of the weekend, there was a lot of stripped wood, a ceiling without wallpaper on it, and not a lemon meringue pie in sight. Those lemons did come in handy though for our cocktail hour on Sunday evening…

Check out all the other Daring Bakers’ real pies here.

13 comments:

Karen Baking Soda said...

Well...if you manage to make a paint stripper look sexy in a photo, I would love to see what you can do to LMP!

David T. Macknet said...

I love your fireplace mantle, anyway. ;)

creampuff said...

Well done! I love this post ... hope the woodwork is coming out okay! And I hope you enjoyed those cocktails!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That's sort of a not LMP :) see you next month.

linda said...

Very understandable...there's always the next challenge right?

Gabi said...

Hey -Life is what happens when you're making other plans!
Good luck on the DIY- been there-done that...boy am I glad that's over ;)
xoxo

jasmine said...

Yeah...know far too well the call of diy. Do love the colour of your walls though :)

j

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Ha! Thanks for the laugh. You definitely get my vote for most creative post. Hope to see you next month.

Annemarie said...

At least DIY won't make you fat. Hope you had a few G&T's to smooth out any sore spots.

Elle said...

Sorry you didn't fit it all in, but what you did do is impressive! Glad the lemons went to a good use :)

Katy said...

hahaha! actually, i think i would have preferred lemons at cocktail hour over the pie! good luck next month!

Mer said...

Too funny! :0)

Dolores said...

Well at least you put the lemons to good use!